Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Church in London

Our first Sunday in London was quite the adventure. We got up early enough to get ready and leave 2 hours and 15 minutes before church was to start. It was a bank holiday in the UK, however, so we were very glad we got up with time to spare. I was concerned with traveling on public transportation and purchasing tickets on the Sabbath, etc. but everything turned out fine. I was really grateful for Jess, my lovely roommate, who shared in my annoyances, joys, and peace. We were able to participate in Sacrament Services and a beautiful Fast and Testimony meeting in the Stratford Ward of the London Hyde Park Stake. We went to a lovely Sunday School lesson, and were afterward given callings and assignments by Bishop Hallwood. I'm called to work in the Primary and to play the piano for the Relief Society sisters. I love the little children and I'm excited to get to be their friend. I think that Primary should be a place where children can feel the Spirit, be loved, accepted, and learn of their loving Heavenly Father. I hope to be able to help! Our second Sunday went much more smoothly. The grumbling in transit from the previous week dissipated, the train mix-ups and extensions were all taken care of, and we arrived in plenty of time. Next week, I think we'll sleep in! We were able to share our musical talents in singing a special musical number for Sacrament Meeting: If the Savior Stood Beside Me. It was lovely and they were grateful to have it. It will never cease to amaze me, however, that with a seven hour total trip on Sunday, I can come home and sleep for 3 hours without it making a dent. :)

No comments: