Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Relief and Gratitude

Few who read this blog or follow my travels in London know of the extreme struggle I've had in my classes, my Shakespeare English 382 class in particular. I consider myself a good writer, fun to read, and strong in structure. If you know Mr. Dalley, you know what I'm talking about when I say that I've grasped the fact that lampshades cannot kick buckets. However, in this class I have found my mettle tested and tried. I have written and rewritten and analyzed and reanalyzed in order to achieve a higher score on what they call "Response" papers. I, myself, would call them "Tear your heart out with a red pen and a TA comment or 3" papers. (This may seem over the top, but really! I've struggled with these papers like none other! I haven't been so frustrated with a grade since Mr. Tusler's 10th grade English class where he made no comments at all and gave you a B! grr . . .) Nevertheless, in order to make this title correlate with what is written here below, I have some exciting news to relay! After two unsatisfactory scores I emailed my TA and basically said, "I want a better score on my next paper and you're going to help me get it." After several helps and more instructions I wrote a paper, turning it in only after having prayed over it extensively. That was over a week ago. I've been in turmoil ever since, wondering and waiting on this paper and of course the grade attached. I got it back today and let's just say the score is now acceptable, very acceptable, in fact. I cried in relief when I saw the score. Confidence is instilled in me and I feel rejuvenated. I'm so grateful for my TA, for the Lord and His mercy, for my mom who believes in me - that I can do anything! (She really does! It's impressive.) I'm feeling relieved and revitalized. I hope I can remember this struggle, this test, this trial, especially when the next "Response Paper" comes around. :)

No comments: